Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Poem - "Beirut"

Pussy
Cowboy Killer
Wrapping Paper
Beirut

Can you use a dollar bill for joint paper?
It's called wrapping paper and idk, lemme google it

Cowboy Killer-
Her friend called the Marlboros
I found it clever, with my wine

Tobacco is an Indian herb, sacred herb
not supposed to cause cancer originally

Hipsters stole leather and cigarettes and mohawks
from Native Americans.
Indians have been killing Cowboys
since 1492

I have had two former significant others express concern
at my pejorative use of the word "pussy"
once to describe pussy music- Beirut- watered down
like a bad Andrew Bird

We danced to him and other funk foundations
Sly Stone
on the porch

They wanted to be stars of indie music,
my friends, distant friends.
Who knows if they'll make it, I hope they do.

I don't remember the other time I felt bad for using "pussy" negatively
too long ago

She loved my homemade hummus.
My Lebanese-Italian American friend told me the secret to perfect hummus
Don't tell any white people, he said
and I haven't.

I'm about to fly to Cebu
Lapu Lapu airport, named for
Lapu Lapu
who killed Magellan
to defend his people

I hope my plane doesn't crash.

1 comment: